Monday, September 14, 2015

Graduating with “Master’s in Health Administration”- Learn and Act little different than others!


I have graduated with Masters in Health Administration from a well-established university located in Philadelphia, PA. This article is all about- if I were to graduate all over again than what would I have done differently- if you were thinking to choose this program or if you are almost graduating than I hope my advice can really help you to make wise DECISIONS…

1)   Always chose a school who has a medical school or a health system affiliated with it

Many universities have their own health systems and medical schools- benefit of choosing those schools will be- (a) Alumni can really help you to build your goals or give you real-time update in current health industry and how can you improve your chances to get a job after or even before graduating (b) most schools refer their student to health system departments- smart and hard-working potential candidate who could be a great asset as an intern or associate (c) Professor can also help you to navigate to find a decent internship to build experience- asking your professor should be top on the list- Professor may have tons of contacts with health systems or may have friends in health care companies.

2)   “Plan B”

If you didn’t get admission with any of the health system affiliated schools than you should have option B in action right way. Your action B should be using LinkedIn to contact health system leaders to find a potential internship or volunteer opportunity. Your goal during grad school should be building experience and network.

I personally got hired full time from my internship program- remember to network where you go- commuting, out on school field trip or even hanging out in the city. You never know whose sitting next you in train or in the restaurant.

3)   Always “BE” ready- “Have your professional contact card ready

One investment you can do during your grad school is – print your contact cards- as I said earlier- you never know- you can get your next networking opportunity on the train platform or during those grocery checkouts lines.

True story: I got my first networking opportunity at Whistler, BC (1000s of miles away from east coast). Would you believe it?? Hiking 7000 feet mountain- I came across this couple from San Diego hiring candidates for top-most well-known companies in California- the couple took a look at my resume and also gave me tips to negotiate my salary later on.

4)   Sign up on LinkedIn

I cannot emphasize enough how LinkedIn can change your life (I am not paid to write this). In fact, I got my last internship with my LinkedIn contact. Learn to write a perfect invitation - if you are sending any invitation to an experience professional contact- don’t sound “cheesy” or “Jazzy”- Just explain your present condition, goals and ask if they could take some time and help you out. Simplicity always works”

5)   Getting healthcare job is not easy- manager’s look for experience

Especially if you have little to no experience- make sure you sign up as a student member of HFMA, AHIMA, AAHIM and so on.. ACHE.ORG guaranteed post fellowship programs around the country every year- over 200 combined fellowships are posted by hospitals across the country (which are usually very well paid, 1 or 2 years program) If you are one of the fortunate one to get selected- than this fellowships will bump your careers, goals and opportunities.. World will be your oysters-

I wish you all the success and happiness in your chosen career. Please feel free to contact me if any questions- more than happy to help you


Regards. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment